Google has officially announced the availability of Android Auto Wireless, a feature which allows your phone to connect to your Android Auto head unit using WiFi.
Android Auto on your phone screen :
- An Android phone running Android 5.0 (Lollipop) and up with a data plan. For best performance, we recommend Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) and up.
- A car mount for your phone (optional but recommended).
- A USB cable (optional for charging).
- The Android Auto app.
Android Auto on your car display (wireless) :
- A car or aftermarket receiver that is compatible with Android Auto Wireless.
- A Pixel or Nexus phone with Android 8.0 (“Oreo”) or higher as follows:
- Pixel or Pixel XL
- Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL
- Nexus 5X or 6P
- The Android Auto app version 3.1 and up.
- A high-quality USB cable for initial setup.
Available in North America, and the list of supported smartphones currently includes Pixels, Nexus 5X, and Nexus 6P.
“We’re excited to announce that wireless support is now officially available! Using Android Auto Wireless, you can start Android Auto on your car display without taking the phone out of your pocket or bag. Your device will automatically connect to the head unit using WiFi without having to manually connect a USB cable”, read an official blog post on the Google Product Forum’s Android Auto User Community page.